Friday, April 30, 2010

Why DUI?

So it was 9:16pm on the night of Friday, April 30. When I was driving down the street to get some dinner, and ran into a DUI checkpoint. 1.5 miles from Campus. In the city of Berkeley, where do you think the most alcohol is consumed? I will tell you, its within a 5 block radius of the university. Across the street from the university has one of the biggest fraternity party houses. One so big on partying that it was unchartered from the University and lost its affiliation, but yet, the national committee of this Fraternity, doesn't see that as a problem.

Well, its 11:20pm, and guess what rumbles I heard in the hallway?

"Pick her up"
"I am trying"
"Use her Shoulders"
"I am trying"
"Why don't you hold the door..."
"No! Hold the door and I will carry her..."

My curiosity got the best of me, and so I opened the door, and low and behold, I saw someone literally so drunk, they were passed out. I left at 9:05 and saw a large group of people heading towards the university all dressed in black formal wear. At 11:20, there is a passed out drunk girl who can't stand, is being hauled (dragged is more like it) down the hall, what miniscule dress she is wearing now looks like a mini tee shirt, and it has to be the most humiliating thing in the world... (if she were sober), but she isn't, so it doesn't matter, and her friends aren't going to say anything the next morning, and she isn't going to remember her tidy not so whities hanging out for the world to see.

Now its 11:37pm.... and guess what I see? (Scroll for photos, don't scroll if you are already ashamed and worried this is you).

Oh great amazing Berkeley, how taxes are high to pay for ambulance runs like this. Yep, its about 2 hours since I left, and probably no more than 1.5 hours since some party house or another started their party and yet someone is being saved right now. Oh I think so, look at all those medical supplies. Cool!

And there it is. Someone is being hauled off. How often has this happened this semester? What, at least 9 times? Last year, I don't think I saw this ambulance even once. Now I see it at least once a month, if not once every other week. I have seen in twice in one night also. So sad to be seeing problems like this so young. How happy are your parents going to be when they see this bill? Someone got a nice IV too, I saw the huge bag being hung. What a night.

Now someone explain to me why they don't just do DUI checks near campus? I mean, this is it. This is the drinking problem and if they were more diligent on safely, maybe they would do WUI (walking under the influence). It might instill fear better. So far, none of the drunk people I have seen or run into have a car, or are in one. So maybe we should rethink the DUI plan in a college town.

Time check: 12:13am Saturday morning. The lights are flashing as "bus" number 2 pulls up for the next drunken soul


No comments:

Post a Comment