Wednesday, November 25, 2009

When Your Addiction Will Kill....

So I was stupid enough to run errands for Thanksgiving and hit up Whole Foods Today and on my way back, I decided to get off the main road and drive through the little road by the Alta Bates Hospital where as we know all the drunk kids end up. Well, as I was by the stop sign, I saw a guy like this:



He was more worst off looking. This guy was in the gown that shows your butt, and hooked up to 4 IVs and standing out there in the blistering cold SMOKING! He was shaved bald and looked like he was dying but he was smoking a cigarette. If it were weed or something, I might have understood, but he was just standing there smoking his cig like it was another day and he wasn't hooked up to 4 IVs and holding on to a metal pole.

It kind of dawned on me just how addictive this stuff is. I mean, when you can't heal in a hospital without smoking one... you know you have a problem. I don't smoke cause I think its gross, I never probably will. My bestie and my brother smoke and some of my other friends do it on occasion but the whole process doesn't appeal to me. It grosses me out and I purposely make a gagging noise when I smell the tobacco scent that is glued to my brother and his girlfriend after they go out and smoke at 2 in the morning when its 20 below freezing outside.

When I was more juvenile than I am now, I would walk by smokers in public and making this coughing up a lung sound. I would start gagging pretty much and making it sound like I was choking for air because of the smoke, hoping that would give them the hint. I don't really see cigarette commercials on tv anymore, but yet, people still smoke all the time. When is this going to be something that phases out? Smoking is never going to have a medical purpose. It's going to kill you faster than it will ever help you. So why is it that people still smoke?

I think I heard this in a movie or a tv show sometime in the last 48 hours that I have been on a tv watching craze... "One day... that's the time I lose with you every time you smoke a cigarette... one less day I will spend with you."

It's sad, but its true. Smoking takes life off... so why do people still do it? And in some people's case... lie about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment