Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chronic Lateness

"Chronic Lateness is a way to assert control"-- Bones

So I am pretty consistent, I am never late to answer a question that I know the answer to, I am very blunt about my opinions, I am always early or directly on time where I deem it valuable for impression or value someone's time, and I am chronically late every other time.

Yes, I think I do agree with this quotation and examination by psychologists. Being chronically late really is an indirect way of asserting control. It gives you the feeling that everyone around you has no right to an opinion of what time you arrive. Many girls believe in the idea of fashionably late, which is a phrase to explain the ideal that they are to show up to an event late enough to get attention, asserting control of the room with their image.

I think I am late often as a way to assert my own control over my life. Usually I am late because I am catching up on work, or speaking with someone important or trying my best to unwind with a movie or tv show. It never is tracked back to me sitting on my bed swinging my legs, staring at the clock mindlessly trying to be tardy. So I get to control that small aspect of my life by choosing to be tardy because I want to. And sometimes, its because I just like knowing that everyone is waiting for me. That doesn't hurt my ego one bit either.

No comments:

Post a Comment