Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Someone Special


There is something special about having someone special in your life. Many of us think of our eternal companions, our husbands, boyfriends, fiances, significant others. But there is something special that a girl needs. A best friend. Best friends are not always in the form of your best girlfriend. But it is most of the time. There are relationships built from infancy that last forever. There are high school friends who retire together. Friends are the ones who cover your butt when your dress is too short. Who run to your rescue when your heart is broken. Who stand up for you when you least expect it. Friends are ones who never back down no matter how much you fight.

For me, its Missy. She is my best friend. She will forever be my best friend. I feel like that is something special, like its a step in your life that you take when you can say you have a significant best friend. It's funny I say this. It's funny because my mother laughed everytime I said I had a best friend as a child. Simply because friends come so easily when you are little. Everyone is your best friend and you change them like you change your underwear. And for me, that that happened a lot. There was something about having best friends when I was growing up. It was just that nobody was quite my best friend, I was just theirs. I always felt like my best friend had someone else that was just slightly more important. And if you know me, you know how much I invest in my friends. How selective I am in who I befriend and how little I trust. I think this stems from my childhood. How I never felt secure in anything. So when Missy and I became friends, it was like things changed. We might have been in our high school days, but we were friends. And we have stuck together for years. We still stick together to this day. And we are each others best friends, nobody else's.

I have friends that I have known from before Missy. I have friends that I gained after her. I have a bunch of friends that I treasure dearly and she has the same. But we have each other and that is more than enough. We are with each other. We lie for each other, we understand each other, and we fight for each other through everything. I know Missy will be there at every important event, just as I will never miss hers. We feel lost sometimes when we enter each others seperate worlds outside of our friendship, but it never lasts for long, because we cling to each other like nobody knows. We are each other's best friends, and nobody quite understands the other like we do. And that is something to be deeply cherished in my opinion. Our friendship is unique to us, in the fact that we are on the same page with each other at all times. And after all the parties, the girls nights and separate lives, we come home to each other and we are comfortable. Nothing stands as strong as we do, and nothing will ever stand between us. We have fought, we have battled, we have held grudges, but our friendship comes first, and we are brutally honest. We have each other, and that's all that matters.

She is my someone special. My husband will forever know who to call when I am in crisis, my children will always know who will be there for them when Mommy isn't around, and my pieces will always be kept together by the glue that Missy is to me. As I am to her.

She has always accepted me as I am, accepted my decisions, been there to hear of my mistakes, and watched as I grew as a person. I have never felt judged, compared, or demeaned by Missy, and I think those are the clues to this friendship puzzle. You are yourself completely, without worry, without thought, and that makes you complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment